This section will show you how to create a Facebook account as well as instructions for creating a page for your library.
Create your Facebook Account:
1. Go to Facebook and sign up for an account. It’s pretty straightforward, but here are some instructions, should you want them:
- Enter account information and enter a birthdate that makes you over 18.
Click on Sign Up Now.
Check your e-mail account and find the e-mail from Facebook.
Click on the link in the e-mail.
You will be taken to a page that tells you your account has been created and you are invited to start finding friends.
Click on Skip for now.
The next screen will have you adding data to your profile. When you’re done, click Save.
3. Join a network (optional). Some networks are geographical – a state or large city. Others are workplaces. Some networks will be hidden from you unless you join them and some networks you won’t be able to join unless you fulfill some requirements. While you can have friends from these networks, you can’t see what’s going on in the network.
4. Set privacy settings (Please read the note at the bottom of this section.)
5. Upload a picture to your profile.
6. Join some groups or become fans of Vermont’s libraries. Here are some library related groups:
- Vermont’s 23 Things
Grace Greene Rocks!
Library 2.0 Interest Group
Libraries and Librarians
Librarians and Facebook
7. Find some friends. (Hint: Vermont Librarian wants to be your friend!)
- You can ‘Search’ for friends by typing their name in the search box in the upper left corner. If you click on SEARCH, you can do a Basic Search for a person, or browse within various categories.
You can connect with people through the networks you join.
You can let Facebook dig through your e-mail address book to find friends who are already on Facebook.
Once you’ve found someone you want to be friends with on Facebook, just click on “Add to Friends.” When you select “Add to Friends” you’ll have the option of filling in some details about your relationship with that person. You can skip that step if you want to.
8. Get some Applications for your Profile page. Click on the word ‘Applications’ on the bottom left corner and when the menu page opens, click on Browse More Applications. The best way to get an understanding of these things is to try some of them out. As you work in Facebook, you will come across many different applications. If you see one that you like just add it and see how it works.
A note about Privacy:
On the top right of every Facebook page are the options: your name settings logout. Click on Settings then click on Manage on the line that says Privacy (or choose Privacy Settings from the drop-down menu that appears when you put your mouse over Settings.) You will be taken to a page which allows you to choose privacy settings for four different areas: Profile, Search, News Feed and Wall, and Applications. These allow you to control who can see what of your information (when looking at your profile, when searching for you, when they contact you (before you accept their friend request), etc…There are many different settings, but please take the time to look through them. You might also want to revisit them once you get a better sense of how Facebook works.
Create a Facebook page for your library:
A Facebook is also called a fan page, because its friends are called fans.
To set up a Facebook Page:
1. Go to create a page
2. Click on Local Business or Place. Click on the arrow to the right of ‘Choose a category’. You will find Library in the drop-down menu. Fill in the form, agree to the terms and click on ‘Get Started’.
3. Add a profile picture
4. Add your library’s information
5. Add upcoming events, videos, photo galleries, import your blog, etc…
7. Become a fan and send an invitation to become a fan of your library to your friends.
1. What do you think about libraries using social networking sites?
2. Post any other thoughts you might have about social networking in general.