#17 Create a wiki or add an entry to a Vermont’s 23 Things sandbox wiki
For this Thing, you’ll get to contribute to a wiki!
“Sandbox” is the term often used to describe the area of the website that should be used for pure play. For this Thing, I’ve created wikis using 3 different wiki software to demonstrate the differences between the most popular free providers (ok, so I went a little wikicrazy). The theme of these wikis is simply “Favorites”: favorite books, favorite vacation spots, favorite restaurants, favorite anything …all you need to do is play and add your thoughts. Instructions on adding content can be found on the front page of each site.
- Wetpaint Wikis in Plain English -a Common Craft Video
- Tips for a Successful Site
- Build Better Content
1. The first activity for this week is to try some basic editing in a wiki. Click on the addresses below to get to the wiki. Try adding pages, links, comments, and look at the page history feature. Please, try not to delete anything.
- Vermont’s 23 Things Wiki at PBWiki Sign in as email@example.com password is vtlibrarian
- Vermont’s 23 Things Wiki at Wetpaint No account needed
- Vermont’s 23 Things Wiki at Mediawiki No account needed
2. Add your blog to at least one of the wiki’s Favorite Blogs page. That’s how I’ll know that you’ve been there.
3. Add a favorite or two to a few other pages (favorite books, favorite vacation spot, etc). And, if you feel up to the challenge, you might even want to create a separate page for book review or short travel essay and link up to that.
4. Once you’ve had a chance to play around in the wiki, post your thoughts and comments to your blog
Here are some theme ideas:
Document something you do in your job that others would have to know if you won the lottery and had to leave work for a life of luxury.
Create a page about a hobby or passion.
Plan a holiday and link to useful accommodation sites, places of interest, an itinerary, etc…
Collaborate with another participant to make a wiki together.
Make a page linking to sites you visit often for 23 Things and add to it in the next few weeks (eg. 23 Things blog, refdesk blog, your own blog, other participant blogs you read).